It's not all giant snakes eating giant alligators and vice-versa...

Well, well, well. At the end of my Week From Hell I have the possibility of a weekend of irony (and rum) soaked Cheez-O-Rama Tiki fun.

It turns out that there is this old Trader Vic's-like place up (down, for most of you) in Fort Lauderdale called the Mai-Kai. I thought it had closed ages ago, but: 1- Either I was wrong (Hell, even I make mistakes) or 2- They reopened or something and never bothered telling me.

I was there all of once, in the early 1970s, when some Official Hula Dancer dragged me up on stage (I must have been 9 or 10) to get me to hula and otherwise shake my then-Tiny Bubbles. But the memory of that otherwise fun night, when I got my drink (some sort of tropical juice thing, IIRC) served in a ceramic vessel that Looked. Just. Like. A. Coconut! has stayed with me. The idea of going back strikes me as hilariously fun, slumming of the very best sort.

Mind you, I am still on the verge of collapsing after I wrap up this paperwork project thing and finally settling down to enjoy a lovely sore throat and coughing and sneezing and purulent rhinitis over the weekend. But if by some miracle, I do get back up to 100% (possibly by rounding up), I will check the thing out and report back. Which strikes me as eminently fair.

Why, if I do get to go and if it does turn out to be halfway decent fun, I may schedule one of the events of the weeklong JokeFest2006 thereat. Maybe the Friday Night Welcome Reception. (I'm riffing offa Poppy's suggestion that we all pile into airplanes and go to LV, NV for Viva Las Vegas! which usually sorta-coincides with JokeFest, to provide that neo-retro ironic-wacky fun. I promise that 2006 will be The End for the irony, though. 2007 will be the Year of the Snob.) That's as far as I have gotten in my thinking on this, though...and I can't guarantee I have been thinking clearly.

-Joke

P.S. Check out what started this off: http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/entertainment/12830278.htm

Comments

BabelBabe said…
Joke, I am having a grand time picturing you hula-ing in your Brooks Brothers suit and horn-rimmed glasses (see how I have created a mental image...)

and Purulent Rhinitis would be a great name for a garage band.
Joke said…
BabBab,

Like you couldn't figure out that I have my grass skirts custom made from grasses harvested ONLY in the spring (before the rains!), from the western shore of Molokai.

Getting custom made coconuts is a bitch, though.

-Joke

Popular Posts