Updated annoyances
Well, folks...the percentage of people w/o electricity in the Miami/Ft. Lauderdale stands at 98%. Miami International & Ft. Lauderdale International Airports are shut down at least through tomorrow (putting an important-ish bidnez trip in jeopardy). I had to grill pasta for dinner.
Fortunately the generator keeps the fridge running and the TV & DishNet satellite up so we can find out how 3rd Worldly we are. Normally, I'd pack up and head off to another chunk of the state (Naples, Key West, etc.) but there is nowhere to run to, at least for now. Blah. At least I have this blog to let people we're all safe and sound.
The damage from Wilma is on a much lower scale of intensity than from Katrina...BUT this covers 20x the area. Basically, a few trees down, a few houses damaged (mobile homes are targeted for abuse, yet again) and lots of branches and things on the road, and of course no power. Anywhere. It's evident how blacked out we are when you can see ALL the stars.
Blah.
-Joke, OK but astonishingly inconvenienced.
Fortunately the generator keeps the fridge running and the TV & DishNet satellite up so we can find out how 3rd Worldly we are. Normally, I'd pack up and head off to another chunk of the state (Naples, Key West, etc.) but there is nowhere to run to, at least for now. Blah. At least I have this blog to let people we're all safe and sound.
The damage from Wilma is on a much lower scale of intensity than from Katrina...BUT this covers 20x the area. Basically, a few trees down, a few houses damaged (mobile homes are targeted for abuse, yet again) and lots of branches and things on the road, and of course no power. Anywhere. It's evident how blacked out we are when you can see ALL the stars.
Blah.
-Joke, OK but astonishingly inconvenienced.

Comments
we are having a typhoon!
And as you're okay and I can feel free to make light, what does the well-dressed man wear when facing hurricane conditions?
JOKE?
YOU THERE?
did I ever tell you about the time my brother got carbon monoxide poisoning from the generator my parents ran under his room?
2- The generator is NEVER running indoors.
-J.
jujube, who nearly killed herself, not from carbon monoxide poisoning but from something else in burned gasoline fumes when her otherwise brilliant rocket sciencist boyfriend vented the generator into the RV's furnace intake vent last weekend.
You know, that night we were supposed to be having dinner and then I was going to drag you to see the Joffrey Ballet.
Under the circumstances, I think an update on the so-called "updated annoyances" is called for.
Otherwise, I'm going to have to assume that the carbon monoxide fumes Jujube just described so cheerfully have backed into your house. And you have all expired.
Just so you know, any minute now I'm going to order mourning gear for the Poppies. And it will probably be badly tailored. Which is what you deserve.
--P.