I've nothing to say, and I intend to say it.
Today is one of those everyday days. Get up, prepare breakfast for those one has married or offsprung, shout threats to laggards, perform acts of transport to school, return home, survey the breakfast wreckage and tidy up the place just enough to keep one's beloved from hurling abuse and invective.
This is, more or less, what my SAHD day is like.
There are tinkerings around the margins which lend some lively freshness, though. An unexpected phone call from the extremely lovely and wildly gracious Poppy, f'rinstance. (Yes! one week until we meet up in Disneyland!) Or an arrival from an online bookseller. (Just received The Ode Less Travelled by Stephen Fry, and it looks delightful.) Or one's magazine subscriptions.
Against the sort of muted pastels of teh everyday, these little delights stand out in some relief. It makes me want to cook something new for dinner, or sit down and plan what we'll do for Eastah. Brunch of some kind, I think.
As an aside, it is the hallmark of a civilized society to revere brunch: Breakfast in the afternoon with alcoholic beverages. In fact, I make it a point to celebrate as many events with a brunch as can be imagined. Our wedding reception was not, on TFBIM's express insistence, a brunch and she has bitterly regretted this lapse.
Anyway, today is one of those days of benevolent ordinariness, leavened cheerfully by the ministerings of the mailman and a tonic conversation with La Buxom. In a little, gentle way, it reminds you that life, regular everyday life, can actually be very, very good.
Told you I had nothing.
-J.
This is, more or less, what my SAHD day is like.
There are tinkerings around the margins which lend some lively freshness, though. An unexpected phone call from the extremely lovely and wildly gracious Poppy, f'rinstance. (Yes! one week until we meet up in Disneyland!) Or an arrival from an online bookseller. (Just received The Ode Less Travelled by Stephen Fry, and it looks delightful.) Or one's magazine subscriptions.
Against the sort of muted pastels of teh everyday, these little delights stand out in some relief. It makes me want to cook something new for dinner, or sit down and plan what we'll do for Eastah. Brunch of some kind, I think.
As an aside, it is the hallmark of a civilized society to revere brunch: Breakfast in the afternoon with alcoholic beverages. In fact, I make it a point to celebrate as many events with a brunch as can be imagined. Our wedding reception was not, on TFBIM's express insistence, a brunch and she has bitterly regretted this lapse.
Anyway, today is one of those days of benevolent ordinariness, leavened cheerfully by the ministerings of the mailman and a tonic conversation with La Buxom. In a little, gentle way, it reminds you that life, regular everyday life, can actually be very, very good.
Told you I had nothing.
-J.

Comments
-J.
(Oh, and to the uninitiated - me - SAHD looked like, you know, saaad, as in sadder than sad. Hah. I worked it out.)
-J.