I've nothing to say, and I intend to say it.

Today is one of those everyday days. Get up, prepare breakfast for those one has married or offsprung, shout threats to laggards, perform acts of transport to school, return home, survey the breakfast wreckage and tidy up the place just enough to keep one's beloved from hurling abuse and invective.

This is, more or less, what my SAHD day is like.

There are tinkerings around the margins which lend some lively freshness, though. An unexpected phone call from the extremely lovely and wildly gracious Poppy, f'rinstance. (Yes! one week until we meet up in Disneyland!) Or an arrival from an online bookseller. (Just received The Ode Less Travelled by Stephen Fry, and it looks delightful.) Or one's magazine subscriptions.

Against the sort of muted pastels of teh everyday, these little delights stand out in some relief. It makes me want to cook something new for dinner, or sit down and plan what we'll do for Eastah. Brunch of some kind, I think.

As an aside, it is the hallmark of a civilized society to revere brunch: Breakfast in the afternoon with alcoholic beverages. In fact, I make it a point to celebrate as many events with a brunch as can be imagined. Our wedding reception was not, on TFBIM's express insistence, a brunch and she has bitterly regretted this lapse.

Anyway, today is one of those days of benevolent ordinariness, leavened cheerfully by the ministerings of the mailman and a tonic conversation with La Buxom. In a little, gentle way, it reminds you that life, regular everyday life, can actually be very, very good.

Told you I had nothing.

-J.

Comments

Your nothing is good.
Poppy Buxom said…
And hey, what do you mean, nothing? I'm all over the place, which means this is one of your best posts yet.
Joke said…
You should see my "something." Even my "anything" yields peals of joy.

-J.
crafty said…
My SAHM day is -exactly- the same as your first paragraph, especially the just enough part.
crafty said…
Alright, not exactly, I often leave the just enough part until 30 minutes before my GTWH comes home.
olivespearls said…
Good mail and a good phone call--indeed, very far from ordinary!
Hilary said…
I've been here before and I'm sure you had a profile that said you were American. (I tried to check today but my computer won't be having with any of that.) Otherwise I would swear you were a pom, not only because of your pronunciation of Eastah but because you could be a modern-day P G Wodehouse don't you know, what! Said P G being able to descibe grass growing and have me in stitches. So say nothing more often is my view.

(Oh, and to the uninitiated - me - SAHD looked like, you know, saaad, as in sadder than sad. Hah. I worked it out.)
Caro said…
I need some of that good cheer and happiness. Could you mail me an IV? :)
Joke said…
I'll try, but the Governator would probably find a way to tax it.

-J.

Popular Posts