Ahead of the curve for Christmas
I know not how many of you suffer the indignity of having hordes of relatives descend upon you at Christmas. Living in the (sorta) tropical paradise better known as Hurricane Alley, this happens every year. Fortunately, there are enough of us to easily absorb the stress that all our returning diaspora can mete out.
Not all of us are so lucky. I was having speech with the lovely and gracious Poppy, who was expressing some trepidation over having the whole mishpocha* over for Christmas, owing to a series of behaviors--some Yuletide-specific, some not--on their part which give her great pause or at least outright spasms.
Since my sister and crew are going to vacation in Japan tomorrow, tagging along on a business trip my BiL is taking, this gave me an idea. Y'see, the company for which he works has printed and distributes to all its American employees going to visit the Tokyo office** a booklet, a slim little something, geared to provide a measure of cultural sensitivity to as not to offend the sensibilities of the citizens of the host nation, in this case, Japan. Also included are useful phrases like:
"Hello, my name is ___."
"Where is the nearest post office?"
"Front desk? There is a big-ass fire breathing T-Rex stomping on cars just outside my window." "Is this really dinner or am I secretly on Fear Factor?"
It struck me that perhaps this is something which might prove useful for Poppy.
Not all of us are so lucky. I was having speech with the lovely and gracious Poppy, who was expressing some trepidation over having the whole mishpocha* over for Christmas, owing to a series of behaviors--some Yuletide-specific, some not--on their part which give her great pause or at least outright spasms.
Since my sister and crew are going to vacation in Japan tomorrow, tagging along on a business trip my BiL is taking, this gave me an idea. Y'see, the company for which he works has printed and distributes to all its American employees going to visit the Tokyo office** a booklet, a slim little something, geared to provide a measure of cultural sensitivity to as not to offend the sensibilities of the citizens of the host nation, in this case, Japan. Also included are useful phrases like:
"Hello, my name is ___."
"Where is the nearest post office?"
"Front desk? There is a big-ass fire breathing T-Rex stomping on cars just outside my window." "Is this really dinner or am I secretly on Fear Factor?"
It struck me that perhaps this is something which might prove useful for Poppy.
When visiting Poppyland, you mustn't expect holiday decorations to be as extensive or bright as you might have at home. To the citizens of Poppyland, quite often "less is more," decoratively speaking.
And this is where FUCKING USELESS BLOGGER DELETED THE REST*** OF WHAT TOOK ME 90 FUCKING MINUTES TO DO. YOU SUCK. No, seriously, right now I feel so UTTERLY FUCKING LIVID that I make Badger PMSing look like Mother Theresa.
-Joke, REALLY pissed
* Yiddish...Christmas...irony. I get it.
** Presumably, the same applies to those traveling from Japan to the USA.
*** Priceless, hilarious shit

Comments
DH and I will be hosting his ginormous family for Christmas this year for the first time ever. I get the vapors just thinking about it.