Don't just take MY word for it.
Rummaging around online, I came across this excerpt from David Rosengarten, former Food Network host, and James Beard Award winner:
I discovered the incredible Smith Creamery in Herman, Louisiana, which has me thinking I’m going to start mailordering in my milk and cream! The Smith Creamery is special, because they pasteurize their products at a lower temperature than most—which takes more time, but "preserves old-fashioned flavor," as they say. [Emphasis mine.]
You can certainly taste the difference in their amazing (4-star) Smith Creamery Whole Milk ($4.50 a gallon); it’s significantly richer than other milks, with a complex, almost vanilla-like taste. The dairy also attributes the difference to the fact that their milk is not homogenized—a process which breaks up the cream that rises to the top of a real bottle of milk. Even better is the (5-star) Smith Creamery Heavy Cream ($3 a pint), which is wonderful, spoon-coating stuff, with a deep, golden, buttery glow all the way down your gullet.
And don’t miss the highly unusual (4-star) Smith Creamery Creole Cream Cheese ($2.75 for 8 ounces)—which is not like cream cheese at all, but more like a slightly denser
mascarpone, with great acid and great butteriness, insanely good on berries, or just spread on bread all by itself.
I discovered the incredible Smith Creamery in Herman, Louisiana, which has me thinking I’m going to start mailordering in my milk and cream! The Smith Creamery is special, because they pasteurize their products at a lower temperature than most—which takes more time, but "preserves old-fashioned flavor," as they say. [Emphasis mine.]
You can certainly taste the difference in their amazing (4-star) Smith Creamery Whole Milk ($4.50 a gallon); it’s significantly richer than other milks, with a complex, almost vanilla-like taste. The dairy also attributes the difference to the fact that their milk is not homogenized—a process which breaks up the cream that rises to the top of a real bottle of milk. Even better is the (5-star) Smith Creamery Heavy Cream ($3 a pint), which is wonderful, spoon-coating stuff, with a deep, golden, buttery glow all the way down your gullet.
And don’t miss the highly unusual (4-star) Smith Creamery Creole Cream Cheese ($2.75 for 8 ounces)—which is not like cream cheese at all, but more like a slightly denser
mascarpone, with great acid and great butteriness, insanely good on berries, or just spread on bread all by itself.
This milk is carried by Whole Foods, at least in FL and GA. Look for it, although their lack of envirobabble may be a strike against it at places like WF or Wild Oats. Maybe your local foodie mart, where doing the right thing (bringing organic food to market) for the wrong reason (because it's yummiest) is not only acceptable, but laudable. But, I am deranged and if I had to, I'd mail order milk.
Smith Creamery
29184 Mount Pisgah Rd.Mount Hermon, LA 70450
985.877.4445 (tel)
985.877.9939 (fax)
Personally, I'm going to try out their whole and skim milks (and I'll probably mix the two to get to a 1.25% milk, which I consider ideal).

Comments