Because you asked.

I won't out you, but I am tired of being asked for drinks recipes. Therefore, in the spirit of comity and all that, here are my summer drinks mainstays:

Panama Jack
2oz Pineapple Juice
2oz Orange Juice (In both cases, the fresher, the better)
1 jigger Creme de Banane (or some other non-artificial banana liqueur)
1 jigger Coconut Rum*

Place in shaker over cracked** ice and shake vigorously for 8 seconds. Strain and serve over FRESH crushed ice in a Collins glass, garnish with orange slice.

The cheater's version is to get Dole's Pineapple-Orange-Banana juice blend [UPDATE...this Dole product has been changed and is now UNDRINKABLY VILE!! AVOID!!!!] and TWO jiggers of coconut rum and then do the shaker thing. 90% as good, 40% of the effort. Your call.

Mojito
2 huge-ass springs of spearmint
1 lime, juiced
2 TS granulated sugar
1 jigger silver rum
Club soda to taste

Rip most of the leaves off the mint springs (leave one sprig with 2 vestigial leaves, for garnish). Drop them into the bottom of the glass (a tallish, Collins affair). Add the sugar. With a wooden spoon (or, if you're all Inspector Gadget-y, a muddler) mash the mint into the sugar, until there is no leaf left and all you see is damp, green sugar. Most recipes will have you muddle the mint on its own and add powdered sugar but that is all kinds of wrong.*** Add lime juice and rum, stir to dissolve sugar. Add cracked ice, top with club soda, NOT SPARKLING MINERAL WATER.

Rum Runner
1 oz rum (silver)
1 oz banana liqueur
1 oz blackberry brandy
1 dash grenadine
5 oz Sour Mix (don't be a schlub, make it yourself with lemon juice and sugar)

Place in shaker over cracked (see above) ice and shake vigorously for 8 seconds. Strain and serve over FRESH crushed ice in a Collins glass, garnish with orange slice and maraschino cherry.

* Captain Morgan has a great one, better than Malibu. Also has an off-brand that is the same thing, but with a different label: Admiral Nelson. Not very creative ovah theah.
** Make sure the ice is fresh and not all melty, you want the ice to be pretty dry. NO, NOT DRY ICE.
*** Powdered sugar has cornstarch and it tastes...I dunno...off.

You're welcome, Internet.

-J.

Comments

Poppy B. said…
1. Other recipes have advised me to use simple syrup in a Mojito. But I'm a rugged individualist, so I use Splenda.

(Hee hee, now I'm imagining Joke writhing in agony. He's such a foodie!)

2. Powdered sugar gives me the creeps. I hate it on doughnuts, cake, Christmas cookies, that stupid cocktail they make in New Orleans that I can't remember the name of, you name it. It's messy. And sugar is supposed to be gritty.

--P.
blackbird said…
cheers.


oh,wait. were you referring to "powdered" sugar as in "confectioners" sugar -- or "super fine" sugar as in granulated to a finer degree with no additives?
blackbird said…
still mustering up the strength to do the 10 kinds of salt post -- but at least I know you will appreciate it.
Badger said…
Er, I just want everyone to know it wasn't me who asked.

And also, I have totally been making my mojitos the right way all along! Who knew?
Joke said…
The problem with Splenda is that it is not abrasive enough to help grind the daylights outa the spearmint (BTW, for you botanists out there, the correct mint isn't spearmint--that's just the best we can find here--but mentha nemorosa) and it also has that weird slightly bitter finish. With enough mint, though, that may be masked. Still, the goal is to turn the mint to a pureé. This also applies to mint juleps, the ideal spirituous beverage for a warm spring.

And by powdered sugar I mean confectioner's sugar, not superfine/castor sugar. Vile stuff.

Popular Posts