Sunday, February 12, 2006

The dead of winter

It's bloody cold outside (57F--that's 14C to the maladjusted). Fortunately I had a chance to head to the farmer's market yesterday, to supply the household with fresh, organic vittles. I also had enough good sense to harvest the tomatoes (most of which were duly ripe) as the temperatures are s'posed to plummet into the mid40F range. Yikes.

At any rate, one of the things I bought yesterday from a local artisanal baker was a lovely challah, and then a small slab of organic smoked bacon, as well as some arugula and a TON of Valencia oranges. Yes, I recognize the irony of treyf juxtaposed with challah. I had designs on brunch.

For me, anyway, brunch is a cold-weather affair. I can't see myself doing something so eggy, so bacon-y, when it's warm and sultry without. But today it seemed an ideal thing so, after Mass I thrust myself at the task. I placed 8 slices of bacon (uncured, maple wood smoked) atop a raised grid inside a small roasting pan along with 4 halved large tomatoes in a 350F oven, squeezed the juice out of about 6 oranges into a pitcher, made myself a bloody mary, preheated the griddle, cracked 4 eggs and 1/2 cup 2% milk with a healthy dash of vanilla extract and a teeny pinch of fine-ground sea salt into a collins-glass-but larger, cut half the challah into 3/4" slices on the diagonal, buttered the griddle, applied the Braun immersion blender to the egg thing, drank the bloody mary, soaked the bread slices in the egg thing, made a small pot of tea (Twining's Orange Pekoe), began grilling off the french toasts, made a cappuccino for TFBIM, pulled off the french toasts, pulled out the bacon and roast tomatoes, plated the aforementioned (except that NTS didn't get the roast tomatoes).

Life is good.

Now...what ought I fix for dinner?

-J.

Posted by Joke at 2:13 PM

11 Comments

  • Blogger BabelBabe posted at 2:40 PM, February 12, 2006  
    it's twenty fricking degrees here.
    someone needs to make me brunch.

    to be fair, we normally do a big waffle/pancake/bacon/sausage or whatever extravaganza but everyone is sick here.
  • Blogger Joke posted at 2:40 PM, February 12, 2006  
    20? Fahrenheit? Madness. Just thinking about it makes me want to reach for two BandAids.

    -J.
  • Blogger perceptive reader posted at 5:42 PM, February 12, 2006  
    I think you must fix a big pot of soup for dinner.
  • Blogger Badger posted at 6:45 PM, February 12, 2006  
    AGAIN with the nipple talk. And on the Lord's Day. Tsk, sir.

    For dinner, frozen pizza! No?
  • Blogger Joke posted at 8:13 PM, February 12, 2006  
    Badge,

    That was an assumption STRICTLY of your own construction.

    PR,

    I made a mess of chili (tomatoes, and beans on the side) and cornbread.

    It's 48F!!!!

    -J.
  • Blogger Badger posted at 10:35 PM, February 12, 2006  
    Actually, my first assumption was that you needed the bandaids to tape up the extra skin that resulted from your huevos leaping into your thorax at the thought of 20 degree temperatures. But then I thought that no man in his right might would intentionally put a band-aid there, knowing he would have to remove it later, so I went with the nipple thing.

    If you must know.
  • Blogger Joke posted at 8:05 AM, February 13, 2006  
    Badge,

    Your original assumption was also flawed, on two counts:

    1- It'd be my larynx where anything was likely to lodge itself, and
    2- Securing the premises would be more of an Ace bandage type of operation.

    -J.
  • Blogger julia posted at 2:18 PM, February 13, 2006  
    It's a lovely 37 here today, but yesterday we had 2+ feet of snow. I did not get a brunch made for me. I need to have TCBIM read your blog. He needs pointers in so many, many things.
  • Blogger --erica posted at 3:58 PM, February 13, 2006  
    You southerners talking COLD when it's 50 degrees. We call that SPRING and pull out the short sleeve shirts! :)
  • Blogger Joke posted at 11:40 PM, February 13, 2006  
    Erica,

    It's not spring until it's 90F.

    -J.
  • Blogger --erica posted at 1:39 PM, February 14, 2006  
    We only hit 90 about 2 weeks out of the year.... maybe!
  • Post a Comment

    « Home