Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Decanter Solution

Here's what I did.

I got out my scribe (2nd from the bottom) and "etched" a TEENY little roman numeral at the base. Then I made a cheat sheet as follows:

I - A Single Malt Scotch (SMS)
II - A Calvados
III - A Bourbon
IV - Another SMS
V - A "Single Mark Rum"
VI - An Armagnac
VII - A Sherry brandy
VIII - A Cognac
IX - Amaretto
X - Another Bourbon
XI - A dark rum
XII - TBA
XIII - TBA

While I was at it, I decided to finally make limoncello with the lemon peels which I have had steeping in vodka since forever.

Basically here is the recipe:

10 whole lemon peels (the yellow part only!)
1 (750-ml) bottle vodka
1/2 cup water
3 cups lemon juice (strained!)
2 1/4 cups superfine (or 2 1/2 regular sugar, but you'll have more of a job dissolving it) sugar

1- Put the peels in a large mason-type jar and steep the lemon peels in the vodka for at least four days (room temperature). Stir the water and sugar in a large saucepan over low heat until the sugar dissolves, say, 15 minutes. Cool completely. (It's okay if the sugar is not 100% dissolved.)

2- Pour the lemon juice into sugar syrup (If it's not cooled completely, it will give the limoncello a "cooked" taste which is no bloody good at all.) and stir to dissolve completely (I cheat and use a blender) Strain out peels from vodka and mix with sweetened juice. Pour into nice self-stoppered bottles (I use the 750ml Lorina "sparkling lemonade" ones). Seal the bottles and refrigerate until cold, at least 4 hours and up to 1 month.

-J.

Posted by Joke at 8:01 AM

2 Comments

  • Blogger BabelBabe posted at 12:01 PM, February 22, 2006  
    i love limoncello.

    that is all.
  • Blogger Sarah Louise posted at 8:23 AM, February 23, 2006  
    I have to make a dentist appointment. You own one of those tools?

    that is all.
  • Post a Comment

    « Home