Sunday, February 19, 2006



Dear Internet,

Below are my two favorite outfits from the Fall 2006 Ralph Lauren show.

Mind you, they are FAR from perfect, especially in terms of the artifice/affectedness of fit and proportion (seems like there is a knee-jerk reactionary mood against the equally loathsome over-slouchiness of past years. (Click on the pictures for an expanded view)

But there are some elements I rather like. (For more on this, go to my other blog) I find the riding jacket version at right to be...interesting and innovative in a benign way, save for the choice of a notch lapel, which I simply cannot abide. The Spinal Tap-snug cut of the trousers with stovepipe legs will become a sad aberration and forgotten footnote in a year or two. Avoid.

I heartily approve, though, of pocket watches with chains (but then again, I would) and the white waistcoat with black tie at right strikes me as complete genius, as does the gradual reemergence of a proper wing collar after many years in hiding following many years of the sartorial abuse thereof. Notice the self-tied bow ties. At these shows these are often tied sloppily on purpose, to highlight the self-tiedness aspect. In real life, you'd tie them as neatly as possible, secure in the knowledge it'll always have an ingratiating amount of imperfection/individualism. To willfully tie them sloppily is to be trying too hard. Oh, and the tie at left is a bit too big and, unless I am mistaken, too velvety.

Now you know.

-J.

Posted by Joke at 2:09 PM

1 Comments

  • Blogger blackbird posted at 12:38 PM, February 20, 2006  
    I may dress him from head to foot -
    but he can tie his own bow tie.
  • Post a Comment

    « Home