Friday, February 24, 2006

Marinara Rebuttal

I love Badger to bits, I really do.

But sweet (even sweet-ish) marinara makes my left eye twitch uncontrollably like Chief Inspector Dreyfus' did when Clouseau did something.

I like my marinara relentlessly savory. The challenge is to tame the acidity of the tomatoes without adding ::shudder:: sugar. The solution? Use ASEPTIC (i.e. boxed) tomatoes, and the most widely available ones--the best ones, too--are from Pomi.

The canning process gives them a "tinny" flavor that reads pretty much as acid, to my palate.

Here's what I do:

1 box of Pomi chopped tomatoes
4 cloves of garlic, sliced as thin as your patience allows
1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
4 tablespoons EVOO

In a small saucepan over medium heat, sprinkle the dried oregano (rub it between your hands, to crush slightly) and wait 30 seconds. Add oil. When oil shimmers add garlic and stir until it becomes fragrant..then add the tomatoes. If you prefer a smoother sauce, use the Pomi strained tomatoes.

Done.

-J.

Posted by Joke at 1:21 PM

4 Comments

  • Blogger Badger posted at 5:11 PM, February 24, 2006  
    What, no basil? Like AT ALL? That's a dealbreaker for me.

    I like savory marinara too, sometimes, but as I said my particular recipe was an effort to duplicate a restaurant (Monjuni's, now defunct) marinara that was sweet enough to produce cavities.

    Oh, and I love you too. Asshole. (Hee! Kidding! Don't sick your cyber harem on my ass!)
  • Blogger Joke posted at 5:31 PM, February 24, 2006  
    Basil makes it Something That's Not Marinara. Personally, I don't mix basil & oregano in pasta sauces.

    I also like a fairly short-cooked, very chunky sauce that is basically this sauce plus fresh basil minus dry oregano and with the garlic ooked at a far lower temperature. Something something al basilico IIRC.

    Mind you, I don't like sweet in anything outside of dessert, so that's my quirk. No sweet & sour chicken, etc.

    -J.

    P.S. I even make chocolate chip cookies with bittersweet chips.
  • Blogger blackbird posted at 5:46 PM, February 24, 2006  
    (sitting over here, with wine, not saying a damn thing)
  • Blogger BabelBabe posted at 12:04 PM, February 25, 2006  
    cyber harem? i am howling with laughter here.

    awesome turn of phrase.

    am with badger on the basil.
  • Post a Comment

    « Home